What makes this a vegan donut recipe vegan?
I absolutely love fluffy yummy donuts. But most store bought donuts are not vegan because the dough is made with eggs and/ or milk, might cooked in lard, and use non vegan sugars or honey. Vegan donuts contain absolutely no animal product.
Sugar and sweetener free donut recipe
This recipe is 100% vegan and can also be made without sugar or additional sweetener. I have been experimenting with cutting out sugar and other sugary additives like maple syrup. It takes time but once your completely off sugar you will start noticing the essence of the food and some fruits and vegetables may start tasting really sweet. For me after being off sugar for the most part for the past 5 years carrots, yam/ sweet potatoes taste really sweet.
In this recipe I used fruit (apple) and spice (cinnamon) to add sweetness to the donut. If you still just started your journey to cutting out sugar it might be difficult for you but you can do it! Try this recipe and if it's really missing the sweetness coat the donut with a little bit of organic sugar and cinnamon. I hope to introduce other no-sugar sweets and sugar alternatives to include in your cooking/kitchen.
This recipe doesn't require an oven. You can cook this donut over the stove in a saucepan.
I've always loved donuts as a kid and lately I have been experimenting with making mochi donuts. This recipe calls for yeast but if you want a yeast free quick and easy donut recipe I would recommend checking out my mochi donuts recipe.
Which Dunkin’ Donuts donut is vegan?
According to Dunkin’ Donut’s allergen ingredient guide, no donut at Dunkin’ Donuts is vegan. However some none donut items like drinks or breakfast food might pass as being vegan friendly.
Vegan Apple Cinnamon Donut Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups of All purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp yeast
- 1 tbsp Coconut oil
- 1/4 cup Plant based milk oat milk, rice milk, flax milk, cashew milk, almond milk, soy milk, cashew milk etc.
- 1/4 cup Grated Red Apple or Apple sauce
- Oil for cooking the donut
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- Organic sugar or other vegan sugar
- Mix flour, yeast, plant based milk, grated apple in a bowl. (Optional: Add 1 teaspoon of sugar) Knead it well until you can make a smooth ball.
- Add coconut oil to the bowl. At first the oil is just going to coat the outside of the dough and will not mix well. Knead it until the oil is thoroughly mixed into the dough.
- Set it to rest in a warm place for 1 hour. Cover over the bowl so the dough doesn’t dry up.
- At this point the dough should have at least doubled in size. Separate the dough into 8 parts
- With a donut cutter or with your hand make 8 donuts out of the dough
- Add one tablespoon of coconut oil to the sauce pan. Set it on low and put the donuts in the pan and put a lid over it. In about 2 minutes, or when the bottom side is lightly brown, flip the donut to the other side. (Cook time about 7 minutes total)
- Coat with cinnamon and organic sugar