This vegan chili recipe is my favorite go to when I have friends over and I need to whip something up quickly. This is so easy, and a party favorite as well. All you have to do to make this recipe is cut up 2 vegetables, open up cans and put all them in a pot and cook for 20 minutes. I have tofu in the recipe to add some different texture (and replace animal protein in non-vegan chili recipes). But if you do not like to eat tofu you can just leave it out of the recipe.
What can I put in chili besides beans?
In this recipe I added corn, celery, onion, and tofu. In some vegan chili recipes it may call for carrots, green, red or yellow bell peppers. I really like adding celery and tofu to add a different texture to the chili. You can add carrots to the recipe but you may need to keep the chili on the stove longer to make sure the carrot cooks fully.
How do I thicken my vegan chili?
If you want minimal liquid in your chili, don't add the 1/2 cup of water in the pot (instruction #4) when you cook all the ingredients. Just make sure to put the heat on low to let the juices from the onion and celery come out to prevent the contents from burning because there are no liquid in the pot. You can thicken chili by adding starch or flour but I do not recommend this. It changes the consistency of the chili. Another thing I could recommend is cut up more onions in the pot. Onions when it is well cooked will give a thicker gooier consistency.
What is a good secret ingredient for chili?
Great secret ingredient would be miso or soy sauce to give it a different flavor undertone. Button or Cremini mushrooms will also give it depth to the flavor. Miso is the secret ingredient in this recipe but if you'd like you can switch it out with soy sauce and add 1 cup of mushrooms.
@glamvegan Chili vegan recipe #veganchili #veganfood #fypシ ♬ Dirty Thoughts – Chloe Adams
Quick and Easy Vegan Chili
- 1/2 package Extra Firm Tofu or 7.5 oz of tofu
- 1 can whole kernel corn 15.25 oz can
- 1 can red kidney beans 1 lb can
- 1 can black beans 1 lb can
- 1 can diced tomato – no added salt 1lb and 12 oz can
- 4 stalk stalks celery
- 1/2 medium sized onion
- 1 tsp Miso/ soybean paste OR 1 teaspoon of salt and 3 table spoons of ketchup
- Put cut up the celery and onion in a pot
- Drain the water out of red kidney beans, corn and black beans cans and put the contents into the pot
- Crumble the tofu with your hands into small pieces and put into the pot
- Add miso or salt and 1/2 cup of water and cook on medium heat for 20 minutes